Working in the UK

The UK is a fantastic place to work as a vet or vet nurse. Many of the new vets who register with the RCVS are overseas graduates.

At the same time, it’s daunting moving to a new country and working with new protocols. We get that. Helping international candidates come to the UK is an important part of what we do.

We’ll support you in finding the right practice in a location that meets your needs, and we’ll be by your side for every step of the transition.

If you’ve been thinking about a change of direction and would like to explore a new country, the adventure of working in the UK is a great place to start. OK, so we’re not famous for our hot weather – but the UK is full of history and endless cultural sights with fascinating stories to tell. You’ll experience some of the greatest music venues, sporting events, museums, art galleries and theatres that the world has to offer.

London is the most diverse city in the world, with over 300 languages spoken. But it isn’t just London – wherever you go, you’ll find the UK is a multicultural melting pot where communities and workplaces embrace diversity.

Having helped many international candidates find work, we know the ups and downs of making the move and can provide a proactive service in getting you settled into your new role. Our consultants can offer advice for all the different aspects of starting a new career in the UK.

Whether you’re an experienced vet or a new graduate, the UK has a wealth of opportunities for you–and some of them are quite unexpected.

What qualifications do you need?

Membership of the RCVS, who are the governing body for all vets in the UK, is a requirement for all practicing vets in the UK. As a vet who is qualified or will be qualifying outside the UK you will firstly need to check whether your veterinary degree is recognised by the RCVS.

If your degree is from a European veterinary school, then your university will need to be EAEVE (European association of Establishments for Veterinary Education) accredited or approved at the time of your graduation. If your degree is not currently recognised, then you will most likely need to sit the Royal College Statutory Membership Examination.

Please follow the link to the Royal College website for further information on the degrees recognised from around the world as well as on the Membership Examination should you require it.

Since the 1st of January 2021 any vet who wishes to work in the UK who does not currently hold the right to work in the UK, will need to apply for a skilled worker visa. There is also a ‘graduate route’ visa for non-UK citizens who graduate from a UK veterinary school whilst on a tier 4 visa.

Where should you start?

Vets are very highly respected in the UK, and you’ll be surrounded by opportunities to develop a fulfilling and rewarding career. Knowing your options and getting the right support will help you take the first essential steps on your route to success. Get in touch today to discuss your next move and discover how we can help you.